Detect and resolve changes using Change Detection Mode
Relevant for: business process tests and flows
This task describes how to run a business process test or flow of your SAP application in Change Detection Mode. This is useful to check if your SAP application has changed and enable UFT to help you automatically update the test or flow's components with the new steps.
Before running a test in Change Detection Mode:
- Save your test on an ALM server running ALM version 12.50, ALM 12.21, ALM 12.01 patch 2 or higher, or ALM 11.52 patch 7 or higher.
- In UFT, install and load the SAP Solutions Add-in.
- If you want to view the Change Detection Report directly from ALM, you must have UFT installed on the same computer.
- You must belong to a user group that has permissions for the Run task, and permissions to modify tests and business components.
With a business process test open and selected, in the toolbar, click the Run button down arrow and select Change Detection Run Mode.
UFT runs the test in the same manner as a regular test run. UFT is minimized and the test or flow steps are performed on your application. At the end of the test run, the Change Detection Report opens in a separate window:
Using the report, you can update your components and steps automatically:
In the component tree, select the component for which you want to resolve changes.
Components in which you need to resolve changes are displayed with a icon in the Changes column of the components tree:
Tip: If you want to see only the components needing changes, in the Changes column, click the down arrow and select the Open Changes radio button.
In the right pane, view the details about the needed changes:
If you want to accept the proposed changes, in the lower right corner of the pane, click the Apply Changes button.
In addition, the selected component's report row is updated to show that you have resolved the changes:
- In the right pane, select the checkboxes for the steps that require an update.
- In the lower right corner of the pane, click Update Steps. UFT automatically updates the steps in your components in the background.
Note: If you want to apply the changes in the components for the current test only, you should clear the Update changes will affect only current test checkbox. If you do not clear this option, the changes to the components are applied to all tests containing these components.
After you have updated all the necessary components, in the lower right corner of the Change Detection report, click Save. UFT saves the updated components in your ALM project.
Note: This process may take some time, depending on the number of updates. Ensure that you do not close UFT or the Change Detection Report while UFT is saving the changes.
In addition to reporting changes in the application during a test run, the Change Detection Report gives a basic report on the success or failure of the test. You can view:
- Overall run status
- Individual component run status
- Run status for individual steps in the components
If you see that a business component is reporting a Failed Status, you can double-click the component name and open the Run Results Viewer to open a defect for this component.
Note that the Change Detection Report does not provide data on the reasons behind the success or failure of a component. To see this information, you must run the test using the regular Run option and view the run results after the test.